Sunday, December 30, 2012

Supra Skytop 2 9/11 Commemorative Edition Shoe

Just came across this 911 tribute shoe from Supra.  Here is a video that gives a good overview of the shoe, which is a recent development (2012).  The striking thing about this shoe is that 11 years later, companies are still rolling out merchandise related (tribute, commemorating, influenced, etc) to September 11th.  I don't plan to add this example to my collection, but I'm documenting it here.  I think it bolsters a number of points I've made through my collection.  First, the influence of September 11th on material/consumer goods is clearly demonstrated, and even more importantly, 11 years after the event we are still seeing its impact.  Second, we see how mainstream the tie between consumerism and September 11th has become.  I don't pretend to know much about Supra, but these shoes are a skateboarding brand, and could be described as a trendy.  Furthermore, this example further bolsters my argument of using 9/11 as a marketing tool and even call to action for sales.  I couldn't find any info or reference about a donation from the sale of this shoe, but I would think this would be the case.  I don't think the connection to 9/11 here had much influence on this individual who purchased the shoe.  Overall, it is interesting to see the continued production of 9/11 influenced goods.  This the second recent example of a sneaker.  It is also worth noting the Nike tribute shoe example from my collection, which followed shortly after 9/11: http://www.collectingseptember11th.blogspot.com/search/label/shoes



No comments: